Mealtimes simplified with Rice Cooker Honey Soy Wings! Sticky, sweet wings over rice and cabbages—in one effortless pot.
In my pursuit of cooking more one-pot rice cooker meals, comes this Rice Cooker Honey Soy Wings! Sticky, sweet and savoury, this is an instant crowd pleaser. Even better? You can effortless create this mouthwatering dish using a rice cooker, and bonus points! Turn it into a complete meal with rice AND vegetables.
Why You’ll Love This Rice Cooker Honey Soy Wings Recipe
- Ease of Preparation: This is a dump-and-go recipe that utilises the convenience of your rice cooker, a breeze even for novice cooks.
- Crowd Pleaser: The sweet, savoury blend of honey and soy sauces transforms these ordinary wings into an absolute treat.
- Versatility: Whether for a casual gathering, game night, or a cozy dinner, these wings fit any occasion.
Key Ingredients for Rice Cooker Honey Soy Wings
- Chicken Wings: Split the wings into drumettes and flats.
- Honey: This adds that delightful sweetness and stickyness to the chicken.
- Soy Sauce: This adds an umami salt to the wings.
- Dark Soy Sauce: I would argue that this instead is the main seasoning for the wings! This adds gorgeous colour to the wings, while leave a savoury-sweet seasoning.
- Kicap Manis (optional): Kicap Manis (or kecap manis) or dark sweet soy sauce is similar to dark soy sauce, but not quite as thick. I like to add this in for that additional sweetness to the wings! If not using then replace with the same amount for dark soy sauce.
- Garlic and Ginger: Minced garlic and grater ginger will add aromatic depth to the dish. You can also use ginger-garlic paste (my go-to!). I’ve had my extra-lazy days, where I skip the ginger garlic altogether though – still tastes good!
- Sesame Oil: A teaspoon for a nutty undertone.
- Rice: The base of today’s meal is the long-grain Jasmine white rice, or any other rice of choice. Be sure to adjust the water needed according to the rice used.
- Cabbages: Cabbages are easy, and its mild flavours go amazingly well with the strong soy sauce seasonings. To prepare the cabbages, chop into quarts, or slice them into strips. I also like to use bok choy or chye sim, although I would add this at the final 5 minutes of cook time instead so the greens stay bright.
- Sesame Seeds and Green Onions: For garnish and a finishing touch.
What Rice Cooker To Use
This can work with ANY rice cooker, but this is the one I use:
- Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 Neuro Fuzzy Cooker
- Zojirushi NS-ZAQ10 Micom Fuzzy Logic (the exact one I purchased – this is the same as the model above; it’s labelled differently in Singapore/Southeast Asia. This is a Made in Japan model.)
The Zojirushi range of rice cookers are well-loved for its reliability, effortlessly perfect rice each time and best of all… the musical chime when your rice is done! I enjoy my Zojirushi and highly recommend it It IS an investment, so again, you can use ANY rice cooker with this recipe.
How to Make Rice Cooker Honey Soy Wings
1: Marinate the Wings
- In a mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, honey, dark soy sauce, kicap manis (optional), sesame oil, ground pepper, minced garlic and grated ginger. Mix well.
- Add the chicken wings to the marinade, ensuring they’re evenly coated. Let them marinate while you prepare the rice cooker. If your organisation is better, you can marinade this overnight, allowing the flavours to fully meld.
2: Prepare the Rice Cooker
- Add rice to the rice cooker pot and rinse until the water runs clear. Add water to the rice cooker indicator line. You can also use stock if you have some on hand (I rarely do!). Level the rice with a spoon or rice paddle.
- Arrange cabbages over the rice.
- Place the marinated wings into the rice cooker pot. Spread them out in a single layer for even cooking.
- Pour any remaining marinade over the wings. The marinade will trickle down to the rice and cabbages and flavour them too.
3: Cook the Wings
- Close the rice cooker lid, set it to the “Cook” function at regular rice setting. That’s it!
4: Serve and Garnish Rice Cooker Honey Soy Wings
- Once the rice cooker is done, the chicken is also done! You can check the wings for doneness. They should be cooked through with a sticky glaze. The wings will cook in the flavourful sauce, absorbing all the deliciousness.
- The cabbages should also be nice and soft, and the rice perfectly cooked.
- Drizzle over with extra sesame oil for more aroma. Garnish with chopped spring onions for a pop of colours and added flavour.
How To Serve
I like to serve the rice cooker pot straight to the table but if you want to be a bit more civilised:
Remove wings from the rice cooker pot and plate. Gently stir rice with a rice paddle to combine the vegetables with the rice. Plate the rice and top with the wings.
Either way, serve immediately and watch the wings disappear!
More Recipes Like This
If you love this rice cooker recipe, make sure to check these out too:
- Rice Cooker Pepper Lunch
- Rice Cooker Chicken Briyani
- Rice Cooker Rainbow Fried Rice
- Rice Cooker Chicken Rice
Rice Cooker Honey Soy Wings
200g or 3 Chicken Wings, separated into drumettes and flats
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp kecap manis or dark sweet soy sauce (see Notes)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, grated
1 tsp sesame oil, with extra for garnish
1/4 tsp ground pepper
200g cabbage, sliced
1 cup Jasmine white rice, rinsed and drained
1 cup water (or as indicated by the rice cooker)
2 spring onions, chopped for garnish
- Marinate chicken wings with honey, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, kecap manis, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and ground pepper.
- Add rice to the rice cooker pot and rinse until the water runs clear. Add water to the rice cooker indicator line. Level the rice with a spoon or rice paddle.
- Arrange cabbages over the rice.
- Place the marinated wings over the cabbages. Spread them out in a single layer for even cooking. Pour any remaining marinade over the wings.
- Close the rice cooker lid, set it to the “Cook” function at regular rice setting.
- Once the rice cooker is done, the wings are ready.
- Drizzle over with extra sesame oil for more aroma and garnish with chopped spring onions and sesame seeds.
- To serve, remove and plate the chicken wings. Gently stir rice with a rice paddle to combine the vegetables with the rice. Plate the rice and top with the wings. Serve immediately!