This dump-and-go, quick, easy and delicious recipe for rice cooker garlic shrimp fried rice is set to become your new lazy weeknight favourite!
This Rice Cooker Garlic Shrimp Fried Rice is going to be on your new weekly rotation! This one-pot wonder is going to cook rice, shrimp, vegetables and even the egg at one go, with ZERO active time.
What makes this dish truly remarkable is its simplicity and the ability to prepare it effortlessly in a rice cooker.
This one-pot wonder promises a symphony of flavors that will tantalize your taste buds and leave you craving for more. Here’s why this recipe will become your new favorite:
Why you will LOVE This Recipe
- One Pot Wonder: This cooks your rice, proteins and vegetables at one go to get you a full, complete meal in one pot!
- ZERO active cook time: Quick and efficient, you are simply adding everything in your rice cooker and letting it do its job. It’s an ideal recipe for busy days without compromising on taste.
- Crowd Pleaser: Everybody loves the savoury garlic-shrimp combo; this is the perfect dish if you have a family of picky eaters to serve.
- Versatility: Easily adaptable to suit dietary preferences and tastes! This is a basic fried rice recipe, incorporate your favourite seasonings to suit your tastes. Try a dash of chilli oil or sambal for spice!
Key Ingredients for Rice Cooker Garlic Shrimp Fried Rice
- Rice: Use either freshly cooked or leftover rice, preferably cooled to prevent it from becoming mushy.
- Shrimp: Opt for fresh, deveined shrimp for the best taste and texture, but frozen shrimp will work fine too. Be sure to defrost first for even cooking.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic cloves minced or finely chopped to bring out the rich flavour. I usually prefer fresh minced garlic, but in this recipe, garlic powder is going to work well too!
- Vegetables: Use frozen mixed vegetables for ultimate convenience! I always customise my own blend of mixed vegetables (not a lover of peas!) so my blend are diced carrots, green beans and corn for added crunch and colour. You can DEFINITELY customise the vegetables, according to your preference.
- Seasonings: In this recipe, I used soy sauce, sesame oil, salt and pepper and a hint of sugar pepper to season. A ‘secret ingredient’ is chicken stock powder (or any other stock powder you have!). This is going to make this taste better-than-takeout, but you can skip this.
Key Equipment for Rice Cooker Garlic Shrimp Fried Rice
The hero of this recipe – Rice Cooker! This can work with ANY standard rice cooker, but this is the one I use:
- Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 Neuro Fuzzy Cooker
- Zojirushi NS-ZAQ10 Micom Fuzzy Logic (the exact one I purchased – this is the same as the model above; it’s labelled differently in Singapore/Southeast Asia. This is a Made in Japan model.)
The Zojirushi range of rice cookers are well-loved for its reliability, effortlessly perfect rice each time and best of all… the musical chime when your rice is done! I enjoy my Zojirushi and highly recommend it!
It IS pricey, so again, you can use ANY rice cooker with this recipe.
How to Make Garlic Shrimp Fried Rice in a Rice Cooker
1. Rinse and Wash Rice
Add rice to the rice cooker pot and rinse until the water runs clear, about 2-3 rinses. Drain off as much of the water as possible, but there is no need to completely drain the liquid.
2. Add Seasonings and Water
Add light soy sauce, half of the sesame oil, stock powder, sugar, salt and pepper. Then add water, according to the indicator line on the rice cooker pot. Otherwise, the general rice to water ratio is 1:1.
Stir the pot to combine the seasonings.
3. Add Garlic & Vegetables
Add minced garlic, and the mixed vegetables in. Stir through the rice. Level out the rice and vegetables in the pot.
4. Top with Shrimps and Egg
Place shrimps over the rice. Add the egg over the top.
Close the lid of the rice cooker, and cook at regular rice cooker settings.
6. Mix, Final Garnish and Serve!
Once rice cooker is done, open the lid. Be careful of the hot steam.
Give a final drizzle of the rest of the sesame oil, and garnish with spring onions. Give a gentle stir with the rice paddle to break the cooked egg and combine everything together to form the final fried rice dish. Garlic Shrimp Fried Rice is ready!
Plate fried rice, option to drizzle on chilli oil or sambal. Serve immediately while hot.
How to Serve Rice Cooker Garlic Shrimp Fried Rice
You can serve this as is, but I need a little bit of spice with my meals, so I absolutely HAVE to have this with Chilli Oil! Another condiment I love serving this with would be:
What If I Want to Cook More?
This recipe works well for 1 cup of rice, or 2 servings of fried rice. For more servings, multiply the amount of ingredients by the number of servings.
For eg, if you’re cooking for a family of four, you will need 2 cups of rice and 1 cup of shrimp.
It’s as straightforward as that!
More Recipes Like This
- Rice Cooker Rainbow Fried Rice
- Rice Cooker Honey Soy Wings (with rice and cabbages)
- Rice Cooker Chicken Rice
Rice Cooker Garlic Shrimp Fried RiceCourse: Recipes
1 cup uncooked white rice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp chopped onions
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsps sesame oil, divided
1/2 tsp chicken stock powder
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup water (or the amount indicated by rice cooker)
1 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, long beans)
1/2 cup shrimp, peeled and deveined
chopped green onions for garnish
- Add rice to the rice cooker pot and rinse until the water runs clear, about 2-3 rinses. Drain off as much of the water as possible, but there is no need to completely drain the liquid.
- To the rice, add light soy sauce, half of the sesame oil, stock powder, sugar, salt and pepper. Then add water. Stir the pot to combine the seasonings.
- Add the minced garlic, onions and mixed vegetables in next. Stir through the rice. Level out the rice and vegetables in the pot.
- Place shrimps over the rice. Add the egg next.
- Close the lid of the rice cooker, and cook at regular rice cooker settings.
- Once rice cooker is done, open the lid. Be careful of hot steam! Give a final drizzle of the rest of the sesame oil, and garnish with spring onions. Gently stir with the rice paddle to combine everything together. Serve immediately while hot!