How to make an easy Bakso Broth, or Indonesia Beef Ball Noodle Soup.
Bakso are Indonesian meatballs, and a staple in the cuisine. I’m still working on a recipe for Bakso meatballs, but this recipe only covers the broth recipe – which is also an important part of Bakso! Real deal Bakso broth requires a long process of boiling beef bones with aromatics and herbs for at least 1 hour. For the best results? 2 hours. This is my shortcut version of making that Bakso broth, in just 15 minutes with the help of my good friend: ready-made beef stock.
Why you will LOVE this Easy Bakso Broth!
- It’s EASY and QUICK! This recipe gets you a good broth in just 15 minutes. In the time you simmer, you can prepare everything else meanwhile. Efficiency.
- This is a ONE POT recipe – make the bakso broth, cook the bakso and vegetables all in one pot! Less dishes to wash.
- This gets you AUTHENTIC flavours – the Aromatics and Spices are pantry staples!
What Stock to Use for Bakso Broth
Bakso broth is usually made with beef bones, stewed for a couple hours to get the full flavours. I used ready-made storebought beef broth instead. The boxed version or stock cubes will work for this. Make sure to adjust the salt levels, since the storebought stuff is already seasoned.
Can I use other broth?
Yes! Feel free to replace with chicken or vegetable stock. Beef broth would be the most close in flavour to what you get in Indonesia, but chicken or vegetable stock is delicious too.
How to Make Bakso Broth with Bakso Balls
- To the beef stock, add all of the spice and aromatics.
2. Let it come up to a boil, before lowering to a simmer for about 10 minutes (or for as long as you can for better infusion).
3. Remove all of the aromatics until you get a clear soup.
4. Lower in Bakso balls in the soup, and allow to cook.
5. Add in vegetables to cook, if using.
6. Cook noodles separately. If you don’t mind a slightly starchy broth, you can cook the noodles straight in the broth as well.
7. Place noodles in a bowl, top with vegetables, bakso balls and the broth.
8. Garnish with spring onions, serve with Bakso sambal and kicap manis!
The Aromatics and Spices for Basic Bakso Broth
- Star Anise
- Cinnamon: I used a short stick for this amount, otherwise I find the flavour too overwhelming. If you don’t mind a strong cinnamon flavour, feel free to add more!
- Lemongrass: Bruise the lemongrass before adding it in. For more information, see my post on “How to Prepare Lemongrass”.
- Spring Onion Roots
- Makrut Lime Leaves/Limau Purut (optional)
- White Pepper
What to Serve with Bakso?
I love having my Bakso with noodles, but you can have it as a soup as well. It’s a great side dish to rice!
In this recipe, I added vegetables for more nutrients. I used whatever vegetables I have in my fridge, so this is most certainly not a “traditional” bowl. I have some baby corn and Yau Mak Chye or Romaine Lettuce today.
It’s also not complete without some kicap manis or dark sweet soy sauce, and a spicy and tangy chilli sauce! I find that sambal chilli sauce an IMPORTANT component to Bakso! I have the perfect easy recipe right here.
More Recipes Like This:
The Easiest Recipe for Bakso Broth!Course: Recipes
2-3 servings Noodles, blanched
12 Bakso Meatballs
Spring Onions, for garnish
1 litre of Beef Stock
1 Star Anise
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 inch Ginger, sliced
2 Lemongrass, bruised
3 Spring Onions, white stalk and roots
3-4 Makrut Lime Leaves
1/2 tsp Salt, or to taste
1/4 tsp Sugar, or to taste
1/2 tsp White Pepper
- Add beef stock to a pot along with the rest of the broth ingredients. Allow to come up to a boil, before lowering to a gentle simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove all of the whole aromatics. Turn the heat to a medium.
- Add the bakso meatballs, and allow to boil to cook for about 15 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Blanch any vegetables (if using) in the broth as well. Blanch noodles according to packet instructions in a separate pot of boiling water. Option to blanch in the broth as well, if you don’t mind a slightly starchy broth. Remove once cooked.
- Assemble blanched noodles, vegetables, bakso in a bowl, and pour in broth. Garnish with spring onions, a helping of Bakso sambal chilli sauce, kicap manis, and serve!