How to make epic Volcano Kimchi Fried Rice, kimchi fried rice with eggs and lots of cheese!
Level up your kimchi fried rice by making it this way! This easy Volcano Kimchi Fried Rice is fun to make, even more fun to eat. A savoury, spicy fried rice, with a fun stretchy cheesy experience – this is an easy way to epic-ise your fried rice.
This is called Volcano Kimchi Fried Rice for how it looks. The “volcano” comes from the fried rice mound resembling the look of a volcano, plus the overflowing eggy “lava”.
I have so much nostalgia for this recipe because this was one of the first recipes I ever attempted! This recipe is old, and I like it, but this updated one aims to be simpler and maybe even more yummy. Yes, while you can just combine all of the ingredients here to make an even easier Kimchi Fried Rice, but this is just… more fun!
How to make the Volcano Kimchi Fried Rice?
Step 1: Make the kimchi fried rice first. Your favourite way, my recipe is basic but you can pimp it anyway you like.
Step 2: Pack rice in a bowl and place in the middle of the pan. Create a well in the middle of the rice mound with a spoon, Create the “Volcano” by pouring egg over the fried rice so it flows around the rice mound. Sprinkle cheese over allow it melt and cook in the pan.
What Pan to Use to Make Volcano Kimchi Fried Rice?
Any frying pan will work for this!
I like to use Cosmic Cookware’s Cosmo Fry for the pan, which is perfect for this. It has a 100% Swiss made non-stick coating so I don’t have to add extra oil when cooking the cheesy “volcano” egg. The egg does not stick to the pan at all for easy cleaning! If you’re using any other pan, make sure to add a bit of oil so it doesn’t stick to the pan. Use code “CCNMEATS10” for 10% off your purchase.
Key Ingredients to make Volcano Kimchi Fried Rice
What Do You Need:
- Cooked Rice: Fried rice usually requires overnight rice, but I don’t find it necessary for this Volcano Fried Rice.
- Kimchi: Aged kimchi is best to get a potent, spicy, flavourful kimchi. I recommend fermented kimchi over fresh kimchi. To make good kimchi fried rice you need to fry the kimchi until it’s roasty, but you can’t quite get this effect with fresh kimchi.
- Egg: Add a dash of water so you get a silkier egg. You want a thinner consistency so it flows, you don’t really want a thick egg pancake forming.
- Mozzarella Cheese: Your favourite cheese will work, but I like to stick to the mozzarella classic for a nice cheesy pull. The mild milky mozzarella also complements the stronger kimchi fried rice.
I made this recipe simple, but you can add your proteins of choice to level it up even more.
What do you need to make the Seasoning Sauce
- Light Soy Sauce
- Sesame Oil
More Recipes Like This
Volcano Kimchi Fried RiceCourse: Eats, Recipes
2 Cups Cooked Rice
4 tbsps Kimchi
2 cloves Garlic, minced
3 Eggs, whisked with 2-3 tbsps Water
2-3 tbsps Mozzarella Cheese
- Seasoning Sauce:
1 tbsp Gochujang
1 tbsp Gochugaru
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp Sugar
- Combine ingredients for the sauce and keep to one side.
- Add oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Saute kimchi with garlic and let it get fragrant and toasty. I like to let the liquid from the kimchi evaporate, and the kimchi a bit more charry even.
- Add cooked rice, the sauce and stir to combine. Turn off the heat and let it cool slightly before removing from pan.
- Pack the kimchi fried rice into a bowl. Carefully flip bowl in the middle of a clean pan. Drizzle on oil around the rice mound, if needed. With a spoon, gently press the middle of the rice, creating a small well. Wiggle a little line down the side of the rice.
- Turn the heat back on to a low. Scramble eggs with a bit of water and pour this over the well. The egg should run down the side via the little line we made.
- Sprinkle on mozzarella cheese over the egg. Let the egg cook to your preferred doneness, and until cheese melts. Option to cover pan with a lid for quicker and even cooking.
- Garnish Volcano Kimchi Fried Rice and EAT immediately!