Looking for a quick and flavourful dish? Try this Tomato Egg Stir Fry recipe that will get you a comforting meal in 15 minutes and ignite your taste buds with a hint of heat!
When it comes to quick and tasty meals, few dishes can match the simplicity and flavour of Tomato Egg Stir Fry. This dish was always on my radar, but I’ve never been too interested in it because I’m not the biggest fan of tomatoes, and this one seems TOO SIMPLE to not be just tomato-ey dish. With a couple of tips and tricks, I made it work! I want to add tomatoes to my diet (antioxidants!) and the simplicity of this dish made it hard to pass.
There are A LOT of versions of this floating around. That’s because this is such a versatile recipe that can be easily adjusted to suit your preference. In this recipe, I made mine spicy and a bit more creamier, because this is what I love.
Why you will LOVE this Recipe?
- SIMPLE: Tomato egg stir fry is a dish that can be prepared quickly and easily with just a few basic ingredients. This is a quick, one pan recipe, that you will return to over and over again.
- VERSATILITY: While tomato and egg are the primary ingredients, tomato egg stir fry allows for variations and adaptations to suit personal tastes. I made mine spicier in this recipe. You can also bump up the recipe with additional ingredients such as vegetables, shrimp or tofu.
- CHEAP AND CHEERFUL: The ingredients required for tomato egg stir fry are generally inexpensive and readily available, making it an affordable and budget-friendly meal option for many.
- Nutritional value: Tomato egg stir fry offers a good balance of nutrients. This is a protein-packed meal that is rich in vitamins A and C, as well as antioxidants. while eggs provide protein, vitamins, and minerals.
- Fresh Tomatoes: It doesn’t matter the type, any tomatoes that are easily (and cheaply!) available to you will work for this recipe.
- Eggs: The eggs are gently scrambled and provide a creamy texture to the dish.
- Spring Onions / Green Onions: Chopped green onions contribute a mild onion flavour and a touch of freshness.
- Salt & Pepper
- Sugar & Tomato Ketchup: These two ingredients balance out the flavours of the Egg Tomato Stir Fry, and helps to remove that raw tomato flavours.
- Chillies (Optional): Of course, I made mine spicy with a couple addition of bird’s eye chillies. Omit if you want a non-spicy version.
How to Remove that Raw Tomato Flavour
My biggest concern was that raw tomato flavour. There are a couple of key ingredients and tips to help reduce that flavour.
- Add sugar and tomato ketchup: This is the method I used. This is also the easiest and quickest way to remove that raw tomato taste.
- Cook down your tomatoes even more: Cooking down the tomatoes for a longer period of time will reduce that cooked tomato flavour. I rarely do this, since I don’t usually have much time to spare if I’m making this recipe anyway. I also like more chunks of tomato, rather than a sauce.
- Up your egg ratio: Add more eggs to reduce the tomato flavour.
How to Make Tomato Egg Stir Fry
Step 1: Season Eggs
Season eggs with salt and pepper, and add some water. The water will create volume and a bit of fluff to the eggs.
Step 2: Cook the Eggs
Add oil to the pan over medium to high heat. Pour in the eggs. We are trying to get larger sheets of eggs for this recipe. Let the eggs sit, and slightly solidify at the bottom. Push the eggs on one side, allowing the uncooked eggs to flow out. Repeat with different corners of the egg. Once egg is almost fully set, and still creamy over the top, break the omelette with your spatula.
Remove the cooked eggs from the pan.
If you scrambled your eggs, and get small chunks instead… it’s ok! This recipe will still work!
Step 3: Cook Tomatoes
To the same pan, add garlic and chillies if using, and stir fry until fragrant. Add chopped tomatoes, and give it a quick stir fry. Add water, and let the tomatoes soften. I prefer a mushier tomato, so I let it cook for a while. This can take 10 minutes. Most of the liquid would have cooked off as well. If you want a mushier tomato, add more water to cook it down even more.
Step 4: Add back Eggs
Once tomatoes are cooked down to your preference, add back the scrambled eggs. Add sugar and tomato ketchup. Stir to combine. Once combined, add spring onions and stir some more.
Turn off the heat and serve immediately!
More Recipes Like This
Tomato Egg Stir FryCourse: Recipes
2 medium-sized Tomatoes, quartered
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
2 tbsps Water
2 tbsps Vegetable Oil
1 clove Garlic, minced
1-2 Chillies, sliced (optional)
1 tsp Sugar
1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
2 spring onions, finely chopped
- Add salt, pepper and water to eggs. Beat the eggs.
- To a pan, add oil and heat over medium heat. Pour in eggs. Scramble to cook and remove from pan.
- In the same pan, add garlic and chillies if using. Stir fry until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and stir fry to combine with the garlic. Add water and allow the tomatoes to cook down to preference.
- Add back the cooked eggs, along with sugar and tomato ketchup. Stir to combine.
- Add chopped spring onions and stir fry to combine.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.