How to make the best Shrimp Egg Fried Rice in 15 minutes!
The Key to Best Shrimp Egg Fried Rice
TIP #1 – Add more eggs! It’s quite simple, add more eggs! For my two portion of rice, I added three eggs. If it’s only one serving, then I would add two eggs.
TIP #2 – Cook the eggs BEFORE the rice. Scramble the eggs until it’s almost cooked – so there is still a wetness to it – but 80% of the egg should be cooked. You can add rice while the eggs are less cooked, but I find that the chances for soggy rice would be higher, especially with the amount of eggs we are adding.
Pan Fry Shrimp Separately
Pan-fry the shrimp first before making the fried rice. This is an extra step, but crucial. This does a couple things:
- You do not overcook the shrimp. Say no to overcooked, mushy shrimp!
- You need to quite vigorously stir fry the rice and eggs together so the two incorporate well. Doing this with shrimps will only break the shrimps!
There is no need to marinate the shrimp prior. If you want to put the extra effort in, marinate it with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar to bring out the sweetness even more. I find it unnecessary extra effort.
The Seasonings for Great Shrimp Egg Fried Rice
The seasoning ingredients belong to a longer list for a simple fried rice, but they are easy to find and are staples in most Asian pantries! The purpose of using this combination of salting agents is to create layers of flavours and that all-important ~umami. All of the ingredients are added in small amounts.
Light Soy Sauce: This is the main umami contributor! You would notice the recipe calls for salt AND light soy sauce. You do not want to add too much soy sauce too, otherwise you can only taste the soy sauce. No light soy sauce? Replace with fish sauce or Maggi seasoning sauce or Golden Mountain sauce.
Chicken Stock Seasoning Powder: This is the secret to getting it to that restaurant-quality flavour… although I suspect it’s more due to the whispers MSG
Sugar: A pinch of sugar balances out the flavours, while also enhancing the sweetness of the shrimp!
How to Serve Shrimp Egg Fried Rice
It’s fried rice… so serve it just like that! If you want to be a little more like Din Tai Fung, arrange some shrimp at the bottom of a rice bowl and then pack on rice.
Once full, pack it down in the bowl and gently flip it over onto a plate. Take the bowl off, and you will get a perfect dome-shaped rice on the plate!
I like to drizzle on some homemade Chilli Oil or delicious Sambal for some extra spice! Try any of my Sambal recipes here:
More Recipes Like This
If you love this quick fried rice, you might love these too:
Shrimp Egg Fried RiceCourse: Recipes
2 servings Cooked Rice, overnight preferable
8-10 Shrimps, deveined and deshelled
1-2 cloves minced Garlic
1 tsp Light Soy Sauce
1 tsp Chicken Stock Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp White Pepper
1/4 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Sesame Oil
- Add oil to pan and pan fry shrimps until cooked and take off the pan.
- Add more oil to pan if needed, and scramble in eggs. Continuously scramble until it’s half-cooked.
- Add cooked rice and garlic. Continuously stir or toss until the rice is fully combined with the eggs.
- Once combined, season with salt, pepper, chicken stock powder, light soy sauce and a pinch of sugar. Toss to combine.
- Add back shrimps, sesame oil and spring onions. Toss to combine. Done!
- Optional to serve: Arrange shrimps at the bottom of the bowl, and pack on fried rice. Gently flip over to a plate and serve.