How to make an easy, classic, creamy Chicken Alfredo Pasta.
Alfredo Pasta is one of my favourite go-to cream-based pasta. It’s actually very easy to make at home! And in most cases, much cheaper. Pastas are probably my fave kind of lunches to whip up and I love that you can get maximum flavour with very minimal ingredients.
What you need for GOOD Alfredo
You really only need three key ingredients for good Alfredo sauce:
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
The rest of the ingredients are pantry staples. I added nutmeg, but it’s optional. You can get good Alfredo without it. The nutmeg helps to slightly cut the heaviness of the dish.
Dairy and Vegan? Make these swaps!
Want to make this non-dairy vegan? Make these replacements:
Butter = Olive Oil
Heavy Cream = Coconut Cream
Parmesan Cheese = Nutritional Yeast
I attempted this vegan combo recently because I chanced upon nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is a yellow powder flake that is suppose to replace the flavour of cheese. It has a cheesy, sort of umami flavour to it. It can be used the same ways you’d use parmesan cheese – although I would not use it as finishing garnishing. I find it too chalky in taste. Melted into some cream however, it worked.
The most surprising bit was how well coconut cream worked in the alfredo.
Instead of chicken, I used shiitake mushrooms.
More recipes like this:
If you love this quick and easy pasta recipe, you might enjoy these too:
Chicken Alfredo PastaCourse: Recipes
1 Serving of dried fettuccine pasta (or your favourite pasta)
Save some pasta cooking water!
100g chicken breasts, sliced
1 tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tbsps Oil
- Alfredo Sauce
2 tbsps butter
1 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tbsps grated Parmesan cheese, with extra for serving
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
cilantro, for serving
- Cook pasta to al dente. Make sure to save some of the pasta water before draining the pasta.
- Coat chicken strips with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to pan, and pan fry the chicken till cooked and take off the pan.
- Same pan, add butter and garlic. Allow butter to melt and garlic to infuse!
- Once you can smell the garlic, add heavy cream, parmesan cheese, and nutmeg. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine till it becomes a saucy sauce.
- Add chicken pieces and pasta and coat with sauce. Add pasta water so it tosses easier if the sauce is too thick.
- Plate, garnish with cilantro and more parmesan – SERVE!